Gifted. This is a beautiful pattern and I can't wait to make myself a pair!
Pattern: Rannoch by Corinne Edinger, free on Ravelry here
Yarn: Drops Nepal. I had to go down a needle size as it seems bulkier than aran.
eta: v2 in thinner yarn is here. I looks almost identical but I prefer the new version.
shorter on the wrists, longer on the fingers
added a 1x1rib thumb gusset, instructions bellow (I hope they make sense...)
To add a thumb gusset:
Knit up your mitts following the pattern until you're happy with the length on the wrists (if you look on the pictures above, it gives you an idea of where the gusset starts)
There are 20st for the top of the hand (staghorn cable) and 22st for the palm (garter rib)
- End on a row where the palm is all k
- On the next row:For the LEFT hand, you will be working on the last 6 stitches of the palm: K2, place marker (pm), P1 m1 P1, pm, K2 (43st, 3st between markers) (pictured below)
For the RIGHT hand, you will be working on the first 6 stitches of the palm: K2, place marker (pm), P1 m1 P1, pm, K2 (43st, 3st between markers)
From now on, instructions for the gusset will be the same for left and right hands.
- The next row, the palm is all k, apart from the gusset in 1x1 rib: marker, P1 K1 P1, marker (3 st between markers)
- The following row, the palm is K2, P2, apart from the gusset: marker, M1, P1 K1 P1, M1, marker (5st between markers)
- The following row, the palm is all k, apart from the gusset in 1x1 rib: marker, K1 P1 K1 P1 K1, marker (5st between markers)
Repeat the last two rows, icreasing after marker 1 and before marker 2, until you have 15st between markers (55st in total)
-Place the 15 stitches between markers on scrap yarn (you can try the mitt on and it doesn't distort your work like a stitch holder), and cast on 2st to replace the original st between the markers. (42 st)
Picture below is the RIGHT hand: K2, co2 (on right needle),15st on scrap yarn, ready to join to the rest of the palm on the left needle.
Finish the mitt, with the palm all in garter rib.
To knit the thumb, transfer the 15st on hold onto DPNs.
Work in 1x1 rib (following the gusset stitches) and pick up 3st at the top (total of 18st)
Continue working in 1x1 rib until you reach the desired length (I did 7 rows). Bind off, weave in the ends and enjoy your mitts!